Who Can I Call to Help Me Change the Amount? 

The Child Support Enforcement Agency

• Eight multi-county offices across the state: Fargo, Grand Forks, Bismarck, Devils Lake, Williston, Jamestown, Dickinson, Minot
• Services are free to anyone
• The process is slow; there are many cases to review.
• There may also be court costs, which are normally not charged to you if you have your case reviewed through the child support unit

The Child Support Enforcement Agency

• You may be eligible for the Volunteer Lawyer Program or the Reduced Fee program.
• Faster than Child Support Unit
• You pay the costs

The Child Support Enforcement Agency

• You need to know and follow the rules
• Write your own legal documents
• Some lawyers will help with these pieces and then you represent yourself in court, which can be less expensive than hiring a private attorney to handle the whole process.

What If the Court Ordered No Payments?

The order must be reviewed in 12 months, if public assistance is received.

What If Court Ordered Less Than 85% of the Guideline?

If the ordered amount is less than the 85% of the guidelines, the support unit must seek a change in the amount.

How Do I Get Support Reviewed By the Child Support Unit?

• Ask the local child support unit for a review in writing

• Keep a copy.

• The review may start 35 months after the last support order

• Automatic reviews begin 35 months after the last order if the custodial parent gets public assistance

• There is no automatic review for others

• If no one requests the review and no one receives public assistance, the child support unit may decide to review in the best interest of the child.

What If It’s Been Less Than a Year Since the Last Order?

There must be a material (major) change in circumstances.

Some examples include:

  • receipt of a windfall
  • the availability of health insurance
  • an involuntary change in income

What Information Is Needed for the Review?

Pay stubs, tax returns, other items asked for by the child support until. If the items are not provided, the noncustodial parent may be held in contempt of court and/ or ordered to pay court costs.

What If the Noncustodial Parent Files for Custody During this Process?

• Hire an attorney.
• Ask the court to postpone proceedings to obtain representation
• Call LSND for further information
• Represent yourself

Applications accepted online at:
or reach us at: 701-328-5440

Who Do I Contact With Additional Questions?

Seniors 60 and over Call:

Others Call:

Legal Services of North Dakota
Bismarck Law Office
418 E Broadway #25
Bismarck, ND 58501

You may apply for legal services by completing our online website application.