Benefits Of Citizenship:

• You cannot be removed (deported) from the U.S. for any reason.
• You can get a U.S. Passport for traveling.
• You can vote.
• Your minor children born abroad who came to the U.S. with you will automatically become U.S. citizens by law.
• You will be eligible for Social Security and other public benefits that are stopped after you have been in the U.S. for seven years without becoming a U.S. citizen.
• You will have preference when petitioning for family members abroad who are waiting to come to the U.S.

Application Filing Fees:

You may request a waiver of the filing fees from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

Citizenship Testing:

• All applicants for naturalization must be able to speak, read, and write English.
• All applicants must take a U.S. civics and history test.
• For limited reasons, applicants with disabilities may qualify for a Medical Waiver to bypass the testing requirements.

Documentation Requirements For Naturalization Applications:

• If you do not have the documentation required by USCIS because the papers were lost before arriving in the United States or your home country does not keep or issue vital records, you should still apply.
• Other documents are acceptable to USCIS, including Affidavits of Birth, Marriage, or Divorce. Many times you can use documents you have acquired since your move to the U.S.

The Naturalization Process Can Take Over a Year, SO DO IT NOW!


If requested, USCIS will process your application much faster so you can get Social Security. The law required that after you have been in the United States for seven (7) years and have not become a citizen, you will not be eligible to receive Social Security or you will lose any Social Security benefits you receive.

When Should You Seek The Advice Of An Immigration Attorney?

If you have some doubts about applying for citizenship or if you have had any of the following problems, seek the advice of an immigration attorney before applying for naturalization:

ANY criminal violations and arrests since you arrived in the United States;
• History of domestic violence or violation of a Protection Order;
• Tax problems, such as unpaid taxes, failure to file taxes, or accusations of fraud with your tax returns;
• Unpaid child support;
• Immigration fraud at the time of entry;
• False claims to U.S. citizenship;
• Voting or registering to vote in a U.S. election; or
• Abandonment of your legal permanent resident status.


Who Do I Contact With Additional Questions?

Seniors 60 and over Call:

Others Call:

You may apply for legal services by completing our online website application.