What Do I Do If I Am Denied General Assistance (GA)?

  • Anyone who is denied has the right to appeal that determination.
  • The written decision from the county must explain the reason you were denied and how much time you have to appeal.
  • It is very important to ask for an appeal immediately. If an appeal is not requested within the time period stated in the denial notice, you lose your right to appeal and need to reapply.
  • Your request for an appeal should be in writing and addressed to your county social service board.
  • After the board receives your request, you will be notified of the time and place for the hearing.

Can Someone Help Me With a GA Hearing?

  • Legal Services of North Dakota (LSND) and other legal aid programs give free legal help to low-income and elderly people. If you would like LSND to handle your hearing, you should contact LSND immediately.

Can I Prepare for a GA Hearing Myself?

  • Your GA hearing will be held before the county social service board. At the hearing you may represent yourself. You also have the right to be represented by anyone you choose.
  • At the hearing, you should be specific in explaining why you need GA. You should also be prepared to give information regarding your monthly income and expenses.
  • If you recently lost your job or an unforseen circumstance arose which has left you unable to pay your bills, you should explain this to the board
  • After the hearing, you will be mailed a decision in writing. This decision can be appealed to District Court if you are not satisfied. If you wish to appeal the decision to the District Court, you should contact your local legal aid office immediately.
January 2019
Published in conjunction with Department of Aging Services – Title III

Who Do I Contact With Additional Questions?

Seniors 60 and over Call:

Others Call:

Legal Services of North Dakota
Bismarck Law Office
418 E Broadway #25
Bismarck, ND 58501

You may apply for legal services by completing our online website application.